Medicaid Preferred Drug List (PDL)
Established so that N.C. Medicaid can obtain better prices for covered outpatient drugs through supplemental rebates.
- The PDL for 2016 is available as a downloadable PDF at right, or visit here.
- The PDL includes a list both of preferred and non-preferred drugs, organized by class of drug:
- The list changes twice yearly, and indicates if clinical criteria must be met.
- Proposed changes to the list are posted here for public comment for 45 days.
- Prescribers are strongly encouraged to write prescriptions for preferred drugs on the list.
- Prescribers may continue writing prescriptions for non-preferred drugs; however, if a prescriber deems a patient’s clinical status necessitates therapy using a non-preferred drug, that prescriber is responsible for initiating a Prior Approval (PA) request through the NCTracks Web Portal, or calling 1-866-246-8505, or by faxing the appropriate PA form found on the NCTracks website (pharmacy forms located here) to 1-855-710-1969.